2020 Trash & Recycle CalendarRecycling Services

– Serviced every other Tuesday
– No sorting or separation needed
– No bagging needed (except for shredded paper – must be bagged in a clear bag)
– Increased recycling capability
– Cardboard does not need to be broken down, unless it is large and will not fit in the cart
– Front of cart must face street
– Only Waste Management carts will be emptied
– Do NOT pack/stuff materials in cart
– All recyclables must be placed inside the cart and the lid must be completely closed
– Leave 3-5 FEET of space between recycling cart, trash can, mailboxes, etc.
– Do NOT place under low utility lines or tree limbs

Acceptable Recyclables
– Plastic Bottles
– Telephone Books
– Aluminum Beverage Cans
– Steel Cans
– Aerosol Cans
– Newspapers & Inserts
– Magazines & Catalogs
– Glass Bottles & Jars
– Cardboard Milk & Juice Containers
– Corrugated Cardboard
– Junk Mail
– Office Paper (Shredded paper needs to be placed in clear bags)
– Aluminum Pie Tins & Foil
– Chipboad/Paperboard (such as cereal and cracker boxes)

NOT Acceptable Recyclables
– Plastic bags, newspaper bags, plastic wrap
– Ceramics and dishes
– Plastic toys
– Styrofoam (inlcuding packaging & containers)
– Books
– Mirrors or window Glass
– Paint cans
– Light bulbs
– Motor oil, antifreeze, pesticide and chemical containers

For more information & images, download the Recycling Brochure located at the bottom of this page.  If any questions or concerns about single-stream recycling, please contact our office at 336-969-6856.


Hanes Mill Landfill Open Monday-Friday, 7AM – 4:30PM and Saturday, 8AM-12 Noon; You can contact the landfill at (336) 661-4900 or at City Link at (336) 727-8000.  Visit the official Hanes Mill Landfill website for holiday hours and more detailed/current information.

The following items are banned from all North Carolina landfills:
– Yard Waste
– Used Oil
– White Goods
– Aluminum Cans
– Whole Scrap Tires
– Lead-Acid Batteries
– Antifreeze
– Oyster Shells
– ABC Beverage Containers
– Motor Oil Filters
– Recyclable plastic bottles (excluding empty motor oil and pesticide containers)
– Wooden Pallets
– Televisions
– Computer Equipment
– Fluorescent Light
– Thermostats with Mercury

Batteries – Used alkaline batteries can be thrown in the garbage.  At this time, there are no recycling options.

Batteries (Rechargeable) – Rechargeable batteries can be recycled at Lowe’s Home Improvement, Home Depot and King R/C Superspeedway (614 N Main St, King).

Cell Phones – Old cell phones, once service has been terminated, can be donated to a local charity or recycled at one of the following locations:  AT&T, Best Buy, Home Depot, King R/C Superspeedway, LG Electronics, Lowes, Office Depot, Sony Ericsson, Sprint, Staples, T-Mobile and Verizon Wireless.

CFLs (Compact Fluorescent Lightbulbs)
– Compact fluorescent lightbulbs (CFLs) can be recycled at any Home Depot Store or the 3RC Envirostation.

Computers – Computers can be recycled at the 3RC Center on Martin Luther King Blvd in Winston-Salem or at Goodwill.

Junk Mail – North Carolina’s Division of Pollution Prevention and Environmental Assistance has developed a list of tried-and-true methods to help eliminate junk mail.

  • Visit www.dmachoice.com to send a message to bulk mailers to remove your name off mailing lists.
  • Major credit bureaus, Experian, Equifax, Inc., Innovis and Trans Union Corp. can be reached at one telephone number: 888/567-8688, or visit http://www.optoutprescreen.com.
  • For unwanted catalogs, visit www.catalogchoice.org.
  • To stop free papers that might be showing up in your mailbox or piling up in your driveway, visit www.stopfreepapers.org.
  • Fill in and return opt-out privacy cards from financial organizations. Financial organizations are now required to provide customers with opt-out privacy cards so you can request that your name be removed from their bulk mailing lists.
  • Call those “800” numbers provided on catalogs and other bulk mailings to request your name to be removed from mailing lists.

Plastic Bags: Most chain stores, including Food Lion, Wal-Mart, and Lowe’s Home Improvement accept plastic bags including dry-cleaning bags, bread bags, and wraps from paper towels, bathroom tissue, napkins, diapers and newspapers

Televisions & Electronics: Televisions can be recycled at the 3RC Center on Martin Luther King Blvd in Winston-Salem.

Used Motor Oil & Filters: Rural Hall residents can take their used motor oil to Rural Hall Automotive on Broad Street to be recycled at no charge or any other automotive service station/supply store.

Wooden Pallets: Wooden pallets can be recycled at A&J Pallets on Anderson Road.  The phone number is (336)969-0265.

Yellow Pages Opt-Out: Want relief from unwanted phone books? Visit www.yellowpagesoptout.com, a one-stop clearinghouse to stop receiving telephone directories. This is an official website of the Yellow Pages Association and Association of Directory Publishers. This is a product of negotiations between several organizations and government agencies across the country, including North Carolina.

Demolition Landfill:
You may drop off construction debris, remodeling debris, and tree stumps at the Demolition Landfill located at 3336 Old Salisbury Road.  For more information and quotes, call (336) 650-7659.

2020 Trash & Recycle Calendar

What You Can and Can’t Recycle – Single Stream Recycling.pdf
Guidelines for Single-Stream Recycling
Frequently Asked Questions About Single-Stream Recycling

Back to top
Font Resize