Services are provided to residential properties only. Businesses, apartment complexes, and multi-family complexes do not receive this service. This service is intended for occasional, single item disposal and not for whole home or property cleanouts.
Leaf pickup is provided to Town residents from mid-October through mid-January. Leaf pickup will continue on an as needed basis until spring. Outside of leaf pickup season, leaves can be placed in a town-approved yard cart. Leaves need to be at the curb by 7AM on Tuesday.
The Public Works Department will service leaves at the curb more frequently during peak season. Otherwise, leaves will be serviced once per week.
Please follow these guidelines in order for your leaves to serviced:
- Residents are encouraged to start raking early and frequently.
- Do not put leaves in bags.
- Leaves need to be raked parallel with the edge of the road, not into the street or onto the sidewalk, in a row no wider than 5 feet.
- Keep leaves free of other debris such as trash, limbs, brush, rocks, flowers, roots, or garbage.
- Leaves will be picked up at least once a week.
- Day of service and frequency could increase depending during peak periods.
Brush & Limb Pickup
The Public Works Department services brush and limbs on Tuesday of each week. Items must be at the curb by 7AM on Tuesday. Please follow these guidelines when placing limbs at the curb:
- Limbs and trimmings should be stacked neatly (not pushed to curb by equipment) at the edge of the curb with all limbs oriented in the same direction.
- Piles should not be stacked higher or wider than 5 feet with a minimum of 24 inches between piles.
- Limbs/trimmings should not exceed 6 inches in diameter or 10 feet in length.
- Limbs/trimmings should not be placed as to interfere with or obstruct the flow of traffic.
- Small pitchfork size piles should be placed in a Town-approved yard cart.
- No stumps or root balls.
- Brush in excess of 10 cubic yards shall be picked up at the curb upon request for a fee. Please contact the office at 336-969-6856 for more information if you have an excessive amount of brush.
Yard Waste Carts
Waste Carts are serviced on Tuesdays year-round. Please have carts at the curb by 7 AM on Tuesdays.
- To receive this service, a homeowner/occupant must purchase an approved yard waste cart by visiting or calling Town Hall at 336-969-6856. The cart will be provided to the homeowner/occupant at the cost of the cart to the Town. The cost of an approved yard waste cart is presently $70.00. This is payable by the homeowner/occupant. The cart will be assembled and delivered by Town personnel.
- Non-approved Town carts will not be serviced.
- Only 3 yard waste carts will be serviced per week, per household.
- Place cart with lid closed and facing the street. After the cart is emptied, the cart is to be removed from the curb or street by midnight to avoid a penalty.
- What goes in the cart:
- Grass Clippings
- Leaves not picked up during loose leaf season
- Small branches, sticks, twigs, shrubbery clippings, and garden waste
- The following will not be accepted:
- Large branches
- Bags, boxes, or garbage
- Glass, metal, or objects that will damage your cart
- The yard waste cart belongs to the homeowner/occupant and is their responsibility to keep clean and in good repair. The Town may refuse to pick up carts in poor or unsafe condition. The Town does not have replacement parts.
- The Town will not pick up carts that are too heavy or containing items other than yard waste as described above.
- NO loose or bagged yard waste will be serviced.
- After the cart is emptied, the cart is to be removed from the curb or street by midnight or be subject to a penalty per the Town’s most current Fee Schedule as adopted by the Town Council.
EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2012: Chronic violators of the yard waste policy will be assessed a $70.00 fee, which will result in the delivery of a cart. A chronic violator is a person who owns property whereupon the Town gave notice of violation at least three (3) times.
The Town delivers mulch (free) each year in the spring to Town residents (as available and while quantities last). A mulch waiver must be completed prior to mulch being delivered. First-come, first-serve basis.
2022 Mulch Guidelines:
The Town of Rural Hall is no longer accepting delivery request for mulch.
Residents living inside Town limits will be served first.
Deadline to sign up: Thursday, April 14 at 4:30 PM
To receive mulch from the Town of Rural Hall, you must:
- Complete and sign a waiver (allows Town employees and equipment onto your property and releases Town of any liability).
- Pick up a yard stake from Town Hall (423 Bethania-Rural Hall Road) and place it in your yard where you would like your mulch delivered.
No need to complete a waiver if we already have one on file, but you will need to pick up a stake and have your name added to the delivery list.
Yard stakes (and waivers) can be picked up and waivers can be dropped off during office hours at the Town of Rural Hall, located at 423 Bethania-Rural Hall Road:
Monday – Thursday, 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM and Friday, 8:30 AM – 4:00 PM
Completed waivers can also be placed in our outside drop box, scanned and emailed to email@example.com, or mailed to PO Box 549 Rural Hall, NC 27045.
The Town’s Public Works Department will be delivering leaf mulch the week of: April 18 – April 22
Town employees will deliver the mulch sometime between April 18-22, weather permitting. We will contact you if there is an issue delivering your mulch. Please make sure we have the best daytime contact number to reach you. Should weather delay delivery, the Town will deliver mulch as soon as possible after weather conditions improve. The Town will deliver no more than one truck load per household, until all residents on
Mulch will NOT be available or delivered after the designated time period.
Free Leaf Mulch For Out-of-Town Residents
In the spring – while supplies last – Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Utilities has free leaf mulch available to Forsyth County homeowners on a first-come, first-served basis at Forum 52 Yard Waste Facility: 180 Northstar Drive, Rural Hall in the Forum 52 Business Park off Forum Parkway.
For More Information:
- Call 336-727-8000
- Visit https://www.cityofws.org/1334/Leaf-Yard-Waste-Disposal
- Visit 180 Northstar Drive, Rural Hall, NC 27045